EDISON offers the rare opportunity to own a truly one-of-a-kind, fiberglass, U.S. built, proven world cruiser.
Built as HAWKEYE III, the original build owner was a visionary engineer and aerospace afficianado, with decades of offshore sailing experience and piloting jets all over the world. Details from these experiences are evident in the design of his second, and final, custom built yacht, now known as EDISON, which he designed with assistance from naval architects Jack Sarin and Tim Nolan.
EDISON has traveled all over the world under various ownerships, spending time in recent years in South Florida, the Bahamas, Caribbean, and New England.
Maintained today to the highest of standards by a very experienced yachtsman, EDISON offers the true opportunity to own a reliable, safe, and comfortable, long-range cruising yacht, ready for a global adventure, if so desired. If staying within sight of white, sandy beaches is more to your liking, EDISON can easily anchor in shallow anchorages or find comfort at the dock of your favorite marina.
1. Uniquely designed, custom built, engineering marvel at the time of her christening on February 3, 1990 as HAWKEYE III.
2. She was the first fiberglass yacht built in the U.S. with a bulbous bow, without a helm wheel, and she was the first U.S. yacht built with oval, stainless-steel railings.
3. Extended cruising provided by reliable and durable derated (2) x CAT3406B engines and (2) x Northern Lights 40 kW generators @1200RPM
4. She has cruised all over the world under various ownerships, with the exception of the Arctic Ocean.
5. Extensive refit period from 2014-2015 that included new Awlgrip and Seahawk paint, as well as "long board" refairing of her exterior surfaces; receipts and invoices available from this yard period- further details in listing. Under her current owner, she continues to see constant upgrades, including such items as new power transformers and a/c chiller plant.
6. Accommodations for up to 8 guests include an on-deck master as well as two lower cabins with double beds and single berths; all cabins feature updated en-suites that include glass showers and granite countertops.
7. Redundant and isolated systems aboard; machinery in engine room mounted on easy-to-access track system.
8. Massive refrigeration and storage areas available in the crew utility space, forward bosun's locker and aft lazarette.
9. Current owner is an extremely knowledgeable yachtsman who has owned and maintained over a dozen 100' motor yachts throughout his life. He has owned EDISON since 2017.
10. Maintained and operated by a full-time crew of 4, who have excellent longevity and are intimately familiar with EDISON's systems.
11. Full walk-around decks on both levels.
12. Large crew area with large area, as well as a 7' x 7' workshop, crew galley and lounge. This space is comparable to a much larger, 120'-130' motor yacht crew area.
- Full displacement, uniquely designed, Westport custom hull with a bulbous bow.
- She was completed and launched by Admiral Marine in Port Townsend, Washington.
- Prior to construction by Westport, her hull design was tank tested. Evidence of her long range, comfortable, and reliable cruising are abundant in her details. It is hard today to find such a thoughtful, long-range cruising yacht of her era, or even built in recent years.
- Nomex cored FRP construction with aluminum pilothouse. Her pilothouse windows are reverse-angle, bulletproof, and with heated glazing for fog and ice.
- Teak decks on the main deck that have been refurbished and sanded (2020).
- Bulbous bow/tank can hold an extra 1,000 gallons of fuel or ballast capacity for extended cruising.
- Sun deck repainted with non-skid. (2020)
- Ceiling heights throughout: Lower deck- 6'7"; Main deck- 6'10"; Pilothouse- 6'10"
- Full exterior paint job completed in 2016 with Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000.
- Bottom paint last completed in September 2019.
|Length Overall:||95 feet||(29.00 meters)|
|Beam:||23 feet 6 inches||(7.16 meters)|
|Draft Minimum:||4 feet 5 inches||(1.35 meters)|
|Draft Maximum:||6 feet 9 inches||(2.06 meters)|
|Tonnage:||192 gross tons|
|Fuel Capacity:||6,000 US Gallons||(22,712 liters)|
|5 x fuel tanks above bilges with electronic sensors and sight gauges|
|Day tank holds 1,800 US Gallons|
|Water Capacity:||1,490 US Gallons||(5,640 liters)|
|Watermaker:||1,800 US Gallons/day||(6,813 liters)|
|Lube Oil:||118 US Gallons||(447 liters)|
|Used Lube Oil:||60 US Gallons||(227 liters)|
|Grey Water:||40 US Gallons||(151 liters)|
|Black Water:||300 US Gallons||(1,135 liters)|
|Slop Tank:||30 US Gallons||(113 liters)|
|Speed||Consumption per hour||RPM|
|Cruising||10 knots||30 US Gallons||1400|
|8.5 knots||20 US Gallons|
|ORIGINAL BUILD FEATURES|
- Pilothouse located in the center of the yacht, directly above the engines, for less motion at sea
- Pilothouse and engine room monitoring systems and gauges for such minutiae as generator exhaust gas temperatures
- Forward-facing, bulletproof, and heated pilothouse glazing
- Staterooms not adjacent to, and isolated from, any mechanical or crew spaces
- Redundant backups for all systems, individually isolated in case of failure
- Large tool room and workshop outside of engine room
- Extraordinarily large crew area and utility space that includes crew galley, 3 cabins, and a space for items such as gym equipment
- Extensive refrigeration and freezer spaces with individual systems
- Massive, walk-in, dry storage spaces in the bosun's locker and aft lazarette
- Full keel for stability and grounding protection
- Classic teak interior wood features curves on all millwork
- Wide, properly inclined staircases between all decks; interior and exterior
- Derated and governed original Caterpillar 3406B engines
- Northern Lights 40kW generators @1200 RPM for longevity and silence (on air bags, non-turbo)
- (5) x above bilge aluminum fuel tanks with electronic sensors and sight gauges
- Most pumps, water-makers, refrigerator compressors, and generators on slide out trays for easy access
|GUEST ACCOMMODATIONS |
EDISON's master cabin is located furthest forward on the main deck and features a private en-suite bath with a glass shower, granite counters, updated vanity and sink, updated fixtures, updated flooring, and a large window. The cabin features two large windows, one on both port and starboard sides providing excellent natural light. A desk, two chests of drawers, large built-in bookshelves with 32" deep cabinets on both sides of the bed, and floor-to-ceiling hanging his and hers closets with additional deep storage, round-out the space. The cabin also features a Smart TV and entertainment systems, a/c controls, as well as a wind gauge and barometer.
Two additional guest cabins are located on the lower deck aft, accessed via a staircase in the main salon with rope lighting for safety. These cabins both feature a double bed and 30" wide single berth and private en-suites, updated with the same finishes as the master bath. Two portholes in both cabins (there is a porthole located in the escape hatch of each cabin) and one porthole in each bathroom provide excellent natural light. Plentiful drawer storage, bookshelves, a lighted dressing table/desk, large floor-to-ceiling hanging closets, individual a/c controls, Smart TV's and entertainment systems, round out these cabins.
|Engine Type:||(2) CAT3406B cylinder diesels, 540 hp each|
|Hours (as of 7.2021):||Port: 14,784 Starboard: 14,823|
|Gearboxes:||Twin Disc 3:1 MG514C reduction gears|
|Drive:||Propellors, replaced with 1" larger blades (2019)|
Generators & Electricity
|Generators:||(2) x 40 Kw Northern Lights @ 1200 RPM|
|Hours (as of 7.2021):||Port: 5,072 SMOH; Rebuilt at 17,928 hours; 23,000 hours total|
|Starboard: 8,500 hour since engine replaced at 6,800 hours (2014); 16,199 total|
|Shore Power:||(2) x Acme Transformers 60 Hz (new 2018)|
|Voltage range 208-240 |
|(2) x shore power cables 240v, 100amp each; 2 x 50 amp joiner becomes 100 amp splitter boxes|
|Batteries:||Main engine starting: bank replaced 2016-2017|
|Generator starting: bank replaced 2019|
|General service: bank replaced 2020|
|Type: (3) x Dometic Varc Titanium AC Chillers||Five tons each, plus pumps|
|Replaced (2) x raw water pumps and (2) x circulation pumps|
|Added 24,000 BTU air handler unit to the Pilothouse|
|Upgraded unit in the Galley|
|Watermaker: ||(1) FCI Aquamiser- 1,800 US Gallons/day|
|Stabilizers: ||Naiad roll control 301 dual powered |
|Bow Thruster:||Wesmar 50 hp (hydraulic)|
|Steering System: ||Telcor|
|Fuel Filtration:||Alfa Laval fuel centrifuge|
|Isolated fuel systems |
|(2) x Racor filters on each engine|
|(1) x Racor filter on each generator|
|Sewage System:||Tidal Wave Headhunter HMX|
|Fresh Water System: ||Upgraded 2020|
|2 x 110v jet pumps|
|1 x 12v backup pump|
|AO Smith water heater (new 2018)|
|Misc.||LED lighting throughout entire vessel, including underlighting in engine room, bosun's locker, and lazarette|
|COMMUNICATION, NAVIGATION & ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS|
|Radio Telephone:||SEA322 SSB |
|Search Light:||Rayline, 1 light forward|
|Distress System:||SAT C 1210 Furuno Inmarsat |
|VHF:||(2) x ICOM VHF Radios M506|
|Computer Printer:||HP Officejet 6600|
|Wi-fi:||New system, access points added, 2 networks, antennas; Pepwave cellular|
|Radar:||(1) Furuno FAR 2117-BB 12 kW|
|(1) Furuno FAR 2127- BB 25 kW (refurbished 2020)|
|Gyrocompass:||(2) Furuno AD-108 converters|
|Sperry MK-37 w/repeaters interfaced to radars and autopilots|
|Compass:||Danforth Constellation 5" (wing stations)|
|CiPlath magentic compass-pilothouse|
|Autopilot: ||Furuno (system 1, new 2020)|
|Furuno FAT 50 (system 2)|
|Screens:||(2) x Furuno MU-190 |
|(2) x VEI monitors|
|Digital Depth:||Furuno FCU-295, B&G|
|Video Sounder: ||Furuno 261 dual-frequency color video|
|GPS:||(2) x Northstar 941-X-GPS|
|Sonar:||Furuno CH14 color scanning sonar- 360 degrees|
Video Equipment- DIRECTV Satellite System
|(1) 49" Samsung Smart TV (new 2019) (main salon)|
|(1) 32" Samsung Smart TV (master cabin)|
|(1) 24" Insignia flat screen TV (crew lounge)|
|(2) 19" Insignia TV's (2 lower guest cabins)|
|Blu-Ray, DVD, and DIRECTV satellite receivers throughout|
|(1) Denon AV Sound Receiver (main salon)|
|(1) Custom Sight & Sound amp with matching load sensor and amp protector (main salon)|
|(2) Sony CD and stereo systems (lower guest cabins)|
|Sirius XM radio interior/exterior|
|Audio wall controls throughout|
|Bose soundbar in the master cabin|
|GALLEY AND LAUNDRY EQUIPMENT|
Main Galley Equipment
|Cooking Equipment:||Wolf convection oven|
|Farberware microwave/air fryer/broiler/convection oven|
|Wolf stovetop with 5 burners (refurbished)|
|Exhaust hood rebuilt with rubber mount for noise reduction; adjustable speed control|
|Refrigeration & Freezer:||Sub-Zero side-by-side |
|Sub-Zero refrigerator (under-counter, main salon)|
|Dishwasher:||Whirlpool (new 2020)|
Crew Galley/Mess Equipment
|Cooking Equipment:||2-burner cooktop|
|Refrigeration:||(2) Sub-Zero under-counter refrigerators|
|(1) True Freezer (utility space, new 2019)|
|(1) True Refrigerator (utility space, new 2019)|
|(1) Cooper Refrigerator (utility space, walk-in, compressor, and lines new 2019)|
|(1) GE stackable washer and dryer (lower guest hallway)|
|(1) LG washer and dryer, stackable, front-loading (replaced 2019)|
|DECK EQUIPMENT |
|Anchor Windlass:||(1) Lofrans Ercole 4000 electric with chain and line warping drum, hydraulic|
|Anchors:||(2) @ 231 pounds each HHP|
(1) Fortress stern anchor @ 60 pounds with 20' of chain and 600' of 1" rope
|Anchor Chain:||Port: 400' 5/8" H.S. chain|
|Starboard: 350' 5/8" H.S chain|
|Crane & Davit:||Nautical Structures/Marquipt (new cable, October 2020); 2500 lb|
|Ballast:||5,000 pounds added to the floor of Lazarette |
|Life rafts:||(2) 12-man automatic Givens life rafts|
|Life jackets:||(42) adult life jackets|
|(5) child life jackets |
|Medical:||Updated kit aboard including defibrillator|
|CCTV:||New controlling unit- 6 cameras- 2 in ER, 2 on the main deck, 2 on the aft deck|
|Night Vision:||FLIR, mast mount|
EDISON features one of the best crew areas on a boat of this size, comfortably accommodating up to 5 crew in 3 cabins.
The crew area is accessed via a staircase forward of the galley and aft of the master cabin. The stairwell is "open", giving the 7' x 7' utility space a spacious feeling, with natural light flooding the space from the port side entrance as well as as porthole on the starboard side.
The utility space is home to a full length True Freezer and True Refrigerator as well as a Cooper "walk-in" refrigerator. Additionally, there is a stacked washer and dryer and two large pantry/storage closets. A separate engineer's workshop is adjacent to this space and features a large workbench, mounted vice, storage, and tool box.
The double berth Captain's cabin is forward of the engineer's workshop and features a private dressing area and en-suite. An open-minded buyer could use this cabin as a 4th guest stateroom if desired.
Forward of the Captain's cabin and through another door is the crew mess, crew galley, and two additional crew cabins.
The crew mess and galley feature a spacious table with seating on both sides, a porthole, and alarm panels to monitor the boat's systems.
Forward of the crew mess and through a watertight door are the remaining crew cabins: a double bunk berth with vanity and sink and a single berth cabin located to starboard, also with a sink and vanity. Both cabins have portholes and there is an escape hatch in the double bunk berth. These two cabins share a separate full bath located on the port side, just outside the doors to these cabins.
|REFIT 2015-2016 and REFIT/UPGRADES UNDER CURRENT OWNER|
Prior to her current owner, EDISON was owned by the same family for 10 years as SERENITY II.
From 2015- 2016, these owners embarked on an extensive refit at Lauderdale Marine Center in Fort Lauderdale of mechanical and cosmetic nature at a cost of over $1,240,000. At the time of sale when she became EDISON, the receipts were provided and are available to her next owners.
Details of the 2015-2016 Refit:
- Full exterior Awlgrip Awlcraft 2000 paint job and Seahawk bottom paint, including "long-board" refairing of exterior surfaces
- All exterior windows and portholes removed, rebuilt, and resealed (except Pilothouse)
- New Pilothouse electronics including two Furuno 72-mile ARPA radars
- Replacement of all heads and new Headhunter Tier III compliant waste system
- Replacement of all air-handlers and hoses
- New granite countertops, glass doors, mirrors, sinks, fixtures, and floors in all heads
- New main galley granite countertops
- All new appliances in galley including Sub-Zero refrigerator, Wolf cooktop and oven, etc.
- Both generators rebuilt
- Refinished all interior woodwork
- New galley and crew area flooring
- Dimmable LED lighting; interior and exterior
In 2017, SERENITY II was purchased by the current owner, becoming EDISON. The boat continues to undergo ongoing upgrades and a rigid maintenance schedule.
Several new or rebuilt upgrades include:
- New main salon and pilothouse headliners with insulation, new LED controllers (2019)
- Furniture in the main salon replaced
- (3) x Dometic VARC Titanium AC Chillers @5 tons each, plus pumps (2020)
- Added an additional 24,000 BTU air handler to the Pilothouse
- Upgraded air handler in Galley
- All new hydraulic hoses/fittings throughout (2019)
- All new Silicone Trident hoses throughout engine room (2020)
- Rebuilt bow thruster, stabilizers serviced (2018)
- Replaced all auxiliary refrigeration and freezers with True Cold units, added chest freezer to bosun's locker
- Serviced all EPIRBs, life rafts (current through 2022)
- New electrical power supplies and shore-power systems (North American capable only)
- A new freshwater system including 3 pumps (two AC, one DC) and a filtration system
- New water heaters with circulating pumps
- LED lighting added in the engine room, bosun's locker, and storage areas
- Shafts aligned with new dripless seals and rebuilt propellers (with spares)
- Rebuilt hydraulic windlass
- Rebuilt Marquipt 2500lb crane, including cable
- All new exterior canvas covers and cushions
- Removable aft deck awning
- Refinished teak decks
- HD 4K TV's throughout
- Engine room and deck CCTV cameras (2 in the engine room, 2 on the main deck, 2 on aft deck)
- (2) x ICOM VHF radios (new 2021)
- Furuno Autopilots- system 1 replaced (2018)
- MaxSea Chart System and Computers
- Pepwave cellular (5G) and Wifi systems, antennas
- Updated medical kit with a defibrillator
- Marble counters added to main salon/dining counters and added bar sink with faucet
- Carpet and underlayment throughout
- Mattresses and linens throughout replaced, including crew
- New LG washer and dryer in crew area (2019)
- Microwaves replaced in galley and crew galley
- Rebuilt main engine exhaust systems and heat exchangers
- Added 5,000 lbs lead bar ballast in lazarette
A detailed list will be provided upon request at the time of sale.
|DVD's, CD's, Games|
|Personal effects of the Owner and crew|